Benefits to Baby
- Babies are meant to be kept close to us after birth, it makes them feel safe, loved and not overwhelmed.
- It helps them to maintain their temperature (thermoregulation)
- It helps them to regulate their heartrate
- Close contact helps with bonding
- Breastfeeding is more successful
- It can reduce flat-head syndrome (plagiocephaly)
- It is more comforatble for babies with colic and reflux to be upright
- It supports healthy hip joints
- It improves speech as they are easier to speak to and interact with
Benefits to Wearer
- It helps release Oxytocin to improve bonding
- It improves lactation
- It is practical and convenient
- It means you have arms free for other children
- It can reduce Postnatal Depression
- It is great exercise
- It helps other caregivers to bond with baby
And so many other reasons!
Have a look at our Safety section to find out more about safe carrying.
There are a vast range of resources available to assist with education in safe and comfortable carrying. SlingSmart has compiled a number of these to support your journey towards becoming a carrying educator, but these are available to anyone.
What the course offers
This course offers a qualification in babywearing, at a Peer Supporter level. This involves learning about how to facilitate safe and comfortable carrying, in simple and uncomplicated cases, how to be a good supporter and ally, and when to advise referral to a consultant or healthcare professional.